Late last year, I was finally exposed to the comfort of the Ergodox – a staggered-column, split keyboard. However, having been using 60% keyboards for the previous decade, I felt like it had too many keys. While some minimalist split ortho options did exist, I found many of them too minimal or too diverged from the Ergodox design, which I did like in theory. Like any sane person, I proceeded to learn an entirely new skill in order to fulfill my need for a keyboard that was kinda like an Ergodox but with fewer keys.
Yesterday, a thread popped up on r/Albuquerque where users attempted to identify the source of a loud explosion in the early morning. A few individuals provided their locations and timestamps at which their surveillance cameras detected the sound. I thought I could use this information to pinpoint its source using multilateration.
Over the past month and a half, I’ve been battling the various ghosts and demons that have apparently taken residence in the ancient server chassis that I am now using as a backend for a Steam Link. Since I doubt anyone else on the Internet is insane enough to do this, I suppose I am mostly making this post for myself to refer back to when it inevitably breaks. If, by chance, you do find this useful, then that is merely a coincidence.
In a previous post, I described issues encountered when integrating the Unifi G4 Doorbell with a digital chimebox. I designed an adapter circuit, and it worked for a few months; however, eventually I started encountering problems and upon further investigation discovered that some of the assumptions I made about the behavior of the Unifi chime adapter module were incorrect. With this new information, I designed a new circuit which is actually simpler and should be more reliable.
Pulseaudio has been the default audio engine in Ubuntu for several years now, and fortunately it has a very flexible module system that lets you route and mix audio. Today, we’ll be looking at how we can set it up to mix mic and soundboard inputs into a virtual source.